Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I grew up in a small school and I lived there my entire school "career" except for college. That meant I graduated High School with kids I started kindergarten with. But I always hated school. I was bullied and teased relentlessly. I was made fun of because of my red hair, my hand-me-down clothes, my mom being a teacher, not having a dad, and numerous other things. I never knew what I did to these people to cause them to tease me from the day they met me, but I assume I was just "that kid" that got voted as the best person to tease. Whatever the reason, I often cried myself to sleep because of it. I dreaded school each morning and I couldn't wait until the last bell rang so I could leave the place I soon came to see is a prison.
I'm all grown up now, but the scars from my childhood are still there. I'm still self-conscience around other people. When someone is whispering to someone else, my first thought is that they are talking about me; and then my second thought is why would anyone waste their breath talking about me? If a friend of mine doesn't text me back or answer my phone call, I automatically assume I must have done something wrong. Sometimes I feel bad for my kids because I'm afraid if their friends see me, they will treat my child bad.

I don't know what it's like to be a "normal" adult because my childhood was so difficult. I listen to other women talk and sometimes I think "why can't I be like that?" I long to be one of the "popular" people in my church or social circles (not that I really have a "social circle"), but instead I feel like people are always ridiculing me behind my back about my looks, my weight, my clothes, or whatever else they might deem unacceptable about me.

On my good days, I can understand that my childhood made me who I am and that is just the way my Heavenly Father intended me to be. I try to hold on to that idea on the bad days. I think, slowly, I am getting over some of my fears. I'm trying to at least. But it's hard. I have been able to forgive most of those that hurt me for so many years.

So my point?? Make sure your kid isn't a bully. Bullying isn't just about beating up another kid. It's also about teasing them something or not picking them for a team (and then arguing about it with the other team captain when they get stuck with a particular child), or intentionally leaving out a child when they include everyone else in the class. Don't just ignore the signs.
If your child is being bullied, try to work with the teacher to resolve the issue. Be there for your child and reassure him/her that it isn't his/her fault. Let your child cry - because it may not sound like a big deal to you, but if it has hurt your child, it's a big deal to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment